Self Made Memory Game:
How to Play memory games:
- Shuffle your woooden circles and place them face-down on your surface.
- Let your child go first to pick 2 circles to try to find a match.
- If a match is found keep them and take another turn.Once all the matches are made, the player with the most wins!
- 12 Wooden Circles
- Sand Paper
- Foam Brush
- Mod Podge
- Card Stock
- Alien Cut-outs
- Hot Glue
- Cut 12 circles from your card stock by using a wooden circle as your template.
- Apply Mod Podge onto your wooden circle and stick your paper circle on top and lightly press out any bubbles.
- Sand the edges of your wooden circles with sandpaper to remove any splinters as well as excess paper.
- Appy Mod Podge over the paper and let dry...repeat to give about 3 coats.
- Repeat with the rest of the circles.
- Once all your wooden circles are covered with card stock on one side, apply your matching images on the other side. Total of 6 different images.
DIY Wooden Memory Game:
- images for the cards
- wooden cards (found in packs at hobby lobby)
- coordinating set of decorative papers
- contrasting background paper
- modge podge
- foam brush
- paper plate
- Google search “animal clipart” “animal silhouettes” or just use basic shape…depending on what your theme is. You could use insect silhouettes, construction equiptment, vehicles, their favorite cartoon characters…whatever!
- Print out your selected images and cut them out. you may need to resize them in Word or whatever photo editing program you use to fit the cards.
- Trace your images onto the backs of your decorative paper and then cut out. Repeat, making two of each image.
- Using the contrasting background paper, cut out rectangles just smaller than the wooden card for a backdrop. I had 12 cards so I needed 12 rectangles.
- Using a foam Brush, apply a layer of modge podge to the entire surface of your wooden card. Carefully line up your paper rectangle and press down. Set aside to dry and repeat until all cards are done.
- Starting with the dry wooden cards, apply a second layer of modge podge over the paper rectangle that is now dried to the wooden card. Line up your animal silhouette (or whatever image you are using), press down and smooth out using your foam brush. Brush a layer of modge podge over top of the entire card and set aside to dry. Repeat to complete all cards.
- Allow your set of wooden cards to dry completely. Then wrap as a gift or start playing with the kids!
- This would make a great little handmade gift for boys or girls!
DIY Memory Game:
- Silhouette Cameo
- Cardstock and computer paper
- Glue stick
- Laminating machine and laminating pouches
- Pens of different colors (for drawing little eyes and noses)
- Decide on the size of my cards. They’re approximately 2 1/4 inches square. Once you decide on the size and how many you want, start cutting!
- To have a pretty backing,cut out 22 additional cards in the happy, yellow polka dotted scrap paper. Once all the cards were cut, Glue the yellow scrap book paper to white card stock.
- Next, decide the images.The Silhouette store has a ton of images to choose from.You need 11 designs for 22 cards (remember, they need to have matches!). Once those are chosen cut them out and glue them to the white side of cards.
- Finally,laminate these little guys. Now they are happily housed in their little plastic homes and ready to be played with!